nafex - Re: [nafex] Ancient Apple Varieties

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Ancient Apple Varieties
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:05:51 -0400

Tom,

By all means, try to find a Canadian source, but don't rule out
home-grafting. I tried it this spring and was surprised how easy it
was. Well, actually, it took me a long time--what surprised me was my
very high success rate. I gather apples are particularly easy to
graft. I did all of my grafting early in the spring, with my last
grafts done as the leaf buds were just opening up. I tried lots of
methods, in the hopes something would work, and here is what I learned:

Basically, you need 4 things to work:

1) Cut the stock and the scion so they fit together snugly. Cutting
each one quite flat is the easiest way to do this. It's best to handle
the cut surfaces and nearby tissue as little as possible, but I did a
bit of whittling with no problem. I was careful not to touch the cut
surfaces.

2) Mechanically bind the two cut ends together, putting at least part
of the cambium (the layer between the wood and the bark) as close
together as possible. It is best to match it over as much length as you
can, but one good join is better than a lot of near misses. If both
sticks (the stock and the scion) are young, it is easiest to just match
the bark on one side. Different people find different methods easier in
attaching the pieces. I liked rubber strips (cut open fat rubber
bands), because they worked even on damp sticks, and I was comfortable
with them. Ed Fackler suggests masking tape. Some people find cut up
plastic produce bags work well enough, and I met a man who swears by
raffia.

3) Protect the wound from drying out. I got my best results with
grafting compound, but it's expensive and a pain to work with (and clean
off you hands). Both masking tape and the produce bags provide adequate
protection by themselves. Every single graft that I bound with rubber
bands and then covered with masking tape eventually took, even though
the masking tape didn't stick very well to my damp trees. (They
sprouted a little later, and grew a little less than the ones with
grafting compound, but all look fine today.)

4) Take all the stuff off before it girdles your graft. This should be
done later, rather than earlier, unless you see signs of girdling. New
grafts are mechanically weak, and can use the added protection. This
step was also where I decided the fabric "grafting tape" I bought from
Leonard's had been a mistake. It stuck too well to the bark, and took a
little bark off when I removed it. I think those twigs will be okay,
but I don't like damaging them so late in the season. I am finding the
roll of tape handy for dozens of odd jobs around the house, though, so I
guess it was an okay purchase.

More experienced grafters recommend picking a warm day with overcast
weather. I think the idea here is to minimize the time the branch sits
around drying out before growth kicks in. I think I started too early,
and the weather was too cold. Most of my grafts took a long time to
sprout, and I thought none of them had worked until a few actually
died. Then, the contrast between the dry, shriveled twig, and the
dormant twigs was striking, and all the others eventually took. To ones
that died were mostly ones where I had tried just rubber bands, with no
outer anti-dessicant. Every one of these died--rubber bands do not
protect the graft from drying. The other advice I've seen is to keep
all the cut ends shaded. Direct sunlight may kill some of the cambium
cells.

Best,
Ginda
Eastern Mass., zone 6