nafex - Re: [nafex] Improved Snow

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Improved Snow
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:43:33 -0400

A 08:05 00.10.24 -0400, vous avez écrit :
>Hi Claude,
>
>Does your apple database contain "Improved Snow"?
>
>We have access to old fashioned Snow, and Improved Snow, but we do not
know much
>about either.

Tom, The old fashioned Snow should be the original Fameuse, which dates
back to 1650 during the French colony.
Fameuse had a tendency to reproduce easily by the seed and often the
seedlings were quite similar to the original. So now we have many strains
of Fameuse. One of them may have been called 'Improved Snow'. Here is what
Daryl Hunter says about Fameuse in his Kitchen Orchard CD :

>FAMEUSE (D) - An old time favourite which originated in the Lake Champlain
area in the 1600's from seeds
>planted by early French settlers. From there it was spread to Vermont
(called the Chimney Apple), and
>around Lake Erie and into Quebec. For a lengthy discussion on the origins
of Fameuse refer to The Apples of
>New York. Some believe it to be the parent of McIntosh which gradually
replaced it in the early 1900's. It has
>some tendency to closely reproduce itself from seed unlike most other
varieties. For this reason there are
>several seedling strains, but the original Fameuse is a handsome bright
red apple deepening to almost
>purplish black with snow white flesh, hence the popular name of "Snow
Apple". The true, deep red Fameuse
>is of better quality than another Striped Fameuse which is often grown in
the author's area. It is tender, crisp,
>very juicy, subacid becoming mild and sweet, aromatic. Its flesh is often
stained with red. It is a refreshing
>dessert apple, a good keeper, but its main fault is that it is very prone
to scab. It also tends to be biennial.
>Princess Louise, a more scab resistant offspring, is a uniquely flavoured
quality fruit. Fameuse requires 600
>hours of chilling. Ripens early October. Zone 3.

Hopes this helps you...

Claude Jolicoeur, Quebec.

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/15/_/423498/_/972402587/