nafex - Re: [nafex] Seed variation, apple

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Seed variation, apple
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 20:41:36 -0400

My husband's uncle transplanted four random seedlings many years ago.
Since they were healthy seedlings when he selected them (along a path in
the woods) I suppose they were "pre-screened" for at least moderate scab
and mildew resistance. Of the four, he got rid of two shortly after
they fruited because he didn't like them. The other two are still
growing in his back yard. Neither would make it as a commercial apple,
but both are good to eat, and one has excellent flavor when fully ripe.
(It only keeps about 1/2 hour after picking, though.)

Hardly a valid statistical sample, but I think it supports your guess
that crosses of decent eating apples have a good chance of producing
apples worth eating.

Ginda