nafex - Re: [nafex] Overwintering fig question

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Overwintering fig question
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 21:10:37 -0700

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9333/15/_/423498/_/969768938/

I've just finished reading an article by Lorraine Johnson in Canadian
Gardening
(no date given), of Joe Gallucci in Toronto, who keeps his fig tree alive by
burying it.

To quote the article:
"He has a 12' fig tree laden with ripening figs from July to well into
October.
In November or early December, before the ground freezes - as late as possible
though in order to keep reaping the fig bounty - Joe ties up the branches to
make
the tree more compact. He digs right under the tree, all around the roots,
without breaking the deep, main root. He then digs a trench the length of the
tree, two feet deep or more where the branches are especially bulky. He tips
the
tree gradually over a period of two or three days, keeping the main root
still in
the ground, until the whole tree is in the trench. He assures me the tree
bends
easily: "Once you dig around the roots, it almost goes down by itself". When
it's
in the trench, he covers the tree with dead leaves, puts a plastic sheet on
top
and covers the plastic with earth. The tree stays in the underground shelter
until late March, after the danger of a harsh frost is past, and then he digs
it
out and gradually elevates it, resting it in the axis of a home-made Y-shaped
wooden stilt to prop it up.
Joe is following a tradition started by his father with a fig shoot brought
from
Italy to Toronto when the family immigrated 40 years ago. They've been
through a
few trees since then; some died when they weren't dug in deeply enough, and
another in an experiment that must have been a sight to behold - it was left
standing but covered with pink insulation.
(end of quote)

I don't know what zone Toronto is in, but it's cold.

Another thought ... don't use maple leaves to mulch the tree ... maple leaves
stick flat to one another and form a suffocating layer. I think oak leaves
would
be great - they dry up slightly curled and a mass of them would form pockets
of
air and act as an insulating layer.

Don't use grass clippings - same problem: they form a suffocating layer

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316