nafex - Re: [nafex] Overwintering fig question

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Overwintering fig question
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 18:30:03 -0500

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no annual fee!
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9332/15/_/423498/_/969751752/

Bert Dunn wrote:
>We are in zone 4b, have 13 varieties of figs- all in largest pots I can
>handle- right now we eat figs every day or two.
> In fall I leave pots outside 'til all foliage drops- then into the back
of
>our barely heated/poor light garage- about 40/45'F
>Every two weeks give them a very small amount of coldest water available.
>Try not to leave garage door open too long to avoid severe freezing
>About mid Feb/first of March, in spite of temp & lousy light, new branches
>& green leaves start to appear, also a few brebas.
>Growth in garage is rank & I pinch back frequently
>About first of April I move to a unheated glass porch , fertilizing
>lightly/increasing water supply.
>Wait for warm weather to put outside.
>Works from me in a cold area Bert

This is very interesting, Bert. Do you think the same procedure would work
for peach trees in pots? How about citrus? I have a 5-foot-tall dwarf
banana tree that will probably fruit early next summer. I brought it
indoors this week and put it in my bedroom in front of west and north-facing
windows--very sunny spot. I'm hoping it will do OK there for the winter.
It makes my bedroom look like a jungle, which isn't bad here in Wisconsin
where the winters are very long and snowy.
Doreen Howard