nafex - Re: [nafex] Hawthorn compatability

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Hawthorn compatability
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:59:56 -0400

Hello Michael,
I have also grafted pear on hawthorn with success, but there seems to be a higher ratio than normal of grafts that die after a year or 2. So I guess that not all pear varieties have the same compatibility with hawthorn. It could also vary with hawthorn species. My oldest graft is 9 years old and fruiting, but the hawthorn is much smaller than the pear at the union.
I also tried in the past some pears on apple: one graft has survived 13 years before incompatibility killed it. But at the end, all these grafts died. I haven't tested the compatibility of Winter Banana with pear, but I have read that it should work.
Last week, I noticed that my young Roxbury Russet is almost dead because of borers - my fault, I didn't check it from close enough. They are really a pest. Like you I have never noticed them in hawthorn, and also never on my pear trees neither. But they seem to really like Mountain Ash.
About hawthorn nomber of species and medicinal properties, I will try to think to give a look at a book I have at my orchard when I will go this week-end.
Claude