nafex - Re: [nafex] Hawthorn compatability

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Hawthorn compatability
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 06:02:40 -0700

Title: Re: [nafex] Hawthorn compatability

eGroups My Groups | nafex Main Page | Start a new group!

I've had experience grafting pear to hawthorn, with good results.  The native Crataegus douglasii makes a very good semi-dwarf stock.  Just be sure not to disturb the roots, which can make it sucker.  Seems like it would be a short step to grafting apples on it, if you used an interstem of Winter Banana, which is graft compatible with pears.  That is, you can graft pear on apple with a Winter Banana interstem, so why not apple on hawthorn with WB interstem?
-Lon Rombough