nafex - [nafex] Re: corkscrew hazelnut

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: corkscrew hazelnut
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:30:39 -0000

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9068/15/_/423498/_/969384641/

> I don't know this for sure, but a friend of mine with a Corkscrew
hazelnut noticed
> that if the sucker/branch is growing rapidly, the branch is
straight, but if the
> branches are growing slowly they corkscrew.
You could be right, but (when I could still get at the trunk) there
seemed to be a graft union, and the bark of the suckers are a
different color (brownish rather than the gray of the HLWS). And
this suckering growth is like 5-6' in one year.

> I thought that it was the rootstock that was suckering and sending
up straight
> suckers.
>
> So I've been looking for a non-suckering rootstock e.g. Turkish
Tree Hazel, but
> Gordon Nofs says the TTH is not good. Tree wimps out after a few
years.
Well I had the same idea (have 3 of TTH), so there goes that idea...

> Someone else told me that you take a straight sucker of any old
hazelnut and tie a
> wire tightly around the base then mulch the base of the sucker.
After a period of
> time, the sucker throws out roots above the wire and you pull at it
and it breaks
> off at the wire and you have a straight, non-suckering hazelnut
with roots.

> It remains to be seen.
OK.

> I thought if I found a non-suckering rootstock and grafted/budded
high (4"), it
> would be easier to keep the shrub all corkscrewing.
>
> The other suggestion is to plant the corkscrew tree (once I've made
it) in lousy
> soil ... gravel, no fertilizer, no amendments, etc., so it will
grow slowly
Well the soil has been kept mulched, but otherwise was quite poor
where the walking stick is planted.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6