nafex - Re: [nafex] Grafting filberts/hazels

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Grafting filberts/hazels
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 17:14:02 -0700

0% Introductory APR!
Instant Approval!
Aria Visa - get yours today.
http://click.egroups.com/1/7102/15/_/423498/_/969138703/

> I don't know why you want to graft filberts.
> They seem to root very readily from cuttings here in Oregon.

Sid propagates Cecil Ferris's hybrids. Most of Cecil's hybrids have a goodly
dose of
Turkish Tree Hazel in them. The Turkish Tree Hazel contributes bud mite
resistance and a
very clean kernel. Likely, the TTH does not root particullarly well as it is
a forest
tree and there is no evolutionary advantage to having adventitious roots.

The other reason Sid grafts is that he uses pure Turkish Tree Hazels as
rootstock (or he
did the last time we talked). One of the cultural problems with hazel nuts
is that they
produce many suckers. That results in a very dense crown and many nuts of
small size.
The market for filberts strongly favors large nut size. Profuse suckers also
makes it
dicy to use herbicides like Round-up to keep the ground clean underneath the
plants. The
nuts are harvested mechanically with a sweeper and bare ground is desirable.
Turkish Tree
Hazel does not throw suckers.

Just for the record. Sid's last name is Grinnell. His phone number is
517-625-7176.
His prices on grafted nut trees cannot be beat but the shipping charges are
high. He
also happens to be an A, #1, good-guy in my book

> >From what I hear 95% of the filberts grown in the US are grown in Oregon.
> I watched a large filbert orchard being started this year.
> Several acres.
> They just stuck cuttings in the ground where they want the trees.
> It looks like they have at least 95% takes this fall.
> When I want some new trees, I just stick some cuttings in the ground where
> I want
> them to grow.
> Makes it easy to get a filbert hedge.
> The squirrils get most of my nuts.
> Thet must bury them because I see little filbert seedlings coming up far
> away from my
> trees.
> Sam

begin:vcard