nafex - Re: [nafex] Grafting filberts/hazels

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Grafting filberts/hazels
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 20:30:16 -0700

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9146/15/_/423498/_/969162515/

Sam,

I want to make the corkscrew hazel nut (of Harry Lauder's walking stick fame).
It's an ornamental and all the branches corkscrew up so it is hard to get a
straight piece and if grown from cuttings it is very bad at suckering.

You do get hazelnuts on the corkscrew hazelnut, but the squirrels get them
all.

In fact, I stopped growing hazelnuts because the beaver kept reducing them to
stumps ... every stem was chewed off at about 16" (I had tree guards that
came up
16").

I had a young walnut tree nearby with a low branch (about 12" off ground) so
I put
a tree guard on the trunk and on the low branch. The beaver reached up and
the
tree guard pushed back towards the trunk of the walnut tree and she chewed
off the
branch at about 12"!!

Luckily my orchard is two gates away from the creek so she doesn't come after
my
apple trees.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML

: I don't know why you want to graft filberts.
: They seem to root very readily from cuttings here in Oregon.
: Sam