nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Bud Grafting

  • From: "Gordon C. Nofs" <gcnofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Bud Grafting
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:26:03 EDT

Install today:
http://click.egroups.com/1/6347/15/_/423498/_/968941566/

I have good percentage of takes after many years finding ones that work. I
use dormant scions in spring, but only after trees have leafed out. The
hotter the better. I use the double bag method. (Anyone who did not get that
info, ask for it; gcnofs@hotmail.com
I also use greenwood grafting, which I have one I done 6 weeks ago of a
carpathian that I was surprised to see it at 8 inches the other day and glad
to see it. The thing with grafting nuts I found out from a friend, that you
don't even look for growth for 4 to 6 weeks in the double bag. Hotter
weather, quicker. It took me 3 years to get pecans to take. but it was the
same way, only 6 weeks or longer wait.
If you would like copy of the greenwood grafting info: gcnofs@hotmail.com

I did have a very good take and growth with the chip bud this early spring.
It was on a carpathian walnut that has clusters of nuts. I did a lot of chip
buds for the first time on early dormat trees. I will be doing it again this
spring, It is the easiest way to graft. I have learned that I have to use
thicker chips.
The growth on the few chip grafts I did are very strong, and I have good 3
feet og growth on them.
I am not going to spell check this, because I have to find out why I get
locked up and out on long messages :)
Gordon C. Nofs
>When do you have the most success with nut grafting?
Truthfully, I NEVER have much success. I've almost given up trying to
graft dormant scions - I've tried hundreds, using numerous different
procedures, and have had almost no luck whatsoever. My few successful
attempts have been 4-flap grafts, but I did have one 'take' of "Neel No.1"
black walnut this spring, using a chip bud procedure.
Success with the coinpurse buds this summer has been much better than I've
experienced in the past, but still well below 50%.
I had one take of 'J.Yoder#1" shagbark, a 4-flap, done in mid July, using a
piece of two-year-old wood, the basal piece of a stick of budwood I'd cut
at the KNGA budding workshop - my own Yoder had 'given up the ghost'
following last year's drought, and I hated to waste that one stick I had
access to.

Gordon Nofs has extensive experience grafting & budding nut trees, maybe
he'll weigh in with his recommendations.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY