nafex - [nafex] Parafilm

  • From: Tom Volkening <volkenin@mail.lib.msu.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@egroups.com'" <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Parafilm
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:43:03 -0400

Since 1938, Christian Children's Fund has been helping needy
children all over the world. Find out more about CCF and how
you can change the life of a child.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9251/15/_/423498/_/968935986/

This information about the composition of Parafilm is from the web site of a
supply company that sells Parafilm.

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/supp/supp4b3.html

Parafilm M ® Laboratory Sealing
Film

Physical properties

Parafilm M ® is a semi-transparent, flexible thermoplastic, and in its final
form is a highly water proof and water resistant sheet material. It is
practically colorless, odorless, tasteless and approximately 0.005" (e.g. 5
mils/ 127 µm) in thickness. The density of the film is reported to
be 0.767 gms/cc.

The unique properties of Parafilm M.® make it ideal and adaptable for many
important laboratory uses and techniques. It molds and seals itself tightly
around test tubes, flasks, and various instruments and objects with
irregular surfaces. The actual composition of Parafilm M is not actually
released by the manufacturer, however it is described as being a "blend of
olefin-type materials". From our own experience using the product quite
extensively in our own laboratory environment, we have generally perceived
it to be close in description to that of a very low molecular weight
polyethyelene with perhaps some additional wax like materials. That is our
own interpretion of its composition and not that of the manufacturer. In any
case, the maximum use temperature seems to be on the order of 54° C/130° F
which happens to be very
consistent with with a material described both by the manufactuer and also
our own additional perception of its composition.

Tom Volkening
Engineering Library
1515 Engineering Building
Michigan State University