nafex - Re: [nafex] Berry Report

  • From: "J. Rosano II" <GIANNI-2@prodigy.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Berry Report
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 23:25:04 -0400

Hi Kevin:

When you say you've got the "Fall Golds" shaded, how so?
Understory, shade cloth....?????
And they are actually showing more color on the leaves than they would
if given "Full Sun? Annnnnd stouter canes????
I had 5 diff variety "Golds" go belly up this season, except for one cane
left, hanging on and maybe because after the rabbit onslaught, I put a
black milk crate over the whole plant and it has continued to grow albeit
slowly.
Thanks Kevin,

Best wishes,
John

S. NH Z-5 a/b

fluffy bunny wrote:

> Don wrote:
>
> Fallgold Raspberry: Sourced from Indiana Plant & Berry. This is
> the only berry I planted this spring that has been a disappointment so
> far, but I think there is hope. Half the plants (5 out of 10) died, and
> the original growth from the remaining five does not look good.
> However, some new suckers are starting to show up that look healthy, not
> yet showing any wilt.
>
> My reply:
>
> I have yet to succeed in getting FallGold to take. I am capable of
> growing most berries, but these languish. Heritage, Taylor, Autumn
> Britten, Autumn Bliss, Triple Crown grow rampant in my soil, but the
> FallGold just doesn't take(I have tried for 5 years now).
>
> My never get very big, yellow, and just stay small producing one or two
> white berries. However I do remember one grower telling me that they are
> the darndest things to get going, but once the take, they really take
> off. He told me it takes about 5 years to get them going.
>
> By way of experiment I have been growing a couple in fairly deep shade,
> these seem to be doing extremely well, developing dark foilage and stout
> stems, the opposite of what I might have suspected so go figure.
>
> Frankly I just don't get it. But I like the berry so I am not ready as
> of yet to throw the towel in.
>
> Wishing you the best,
> the
> fluffy bunny