nafex - Re: [nafex] Berry Report

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Berry Report
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:24:40 -0700

Comments on your comments. Depending on what kind of care you give it,
Doyle will either shoot up in a year or so, or take longer as it's root
system gets established. Mine is in it's third year, and after growing
slowly, is now putting up huge vigorous canes. This, in a climate where we
get no summer rainfall. The fruit is not as big as some, but that may be
due to the lack of watering. It's firm, and has a distinctly different
flavor than the local blackberries, which are softer. It's also a bit later
here than the local berries.

Fallgold, sadly, is not a particularly good berry for many areas. It was a
creation of the late Professor Meader in New Hampshire and while it is
delicious, it needs lots of mulch, organic matter, and good care to do well.
Even so, it is more prone to root rot than other raspberries.

-Lon Rombough
----------
>From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Berry Report
>Date: Fri, Aug 18, 2000, 1:19 AM
>

>4. Doyle Blackberry: I thought these plants were expensive when I
>ordered them --- $18 per copy -- so I only put in four. But when they
>arrived I could see why. They are airshipped from Severtson Farms, and
>I have never seen a more careful packing job. Most of the cost of these
>plants is in packing and shipping, apparently because their tissue
>culture propagation method results in small, growing potted plants, not
>dormant stock from the nursery row. The Doyle plants are not yet
>showing the vigor of the Triple Crowns, but perhaps that is partly a
>first-year difference due to the distinct plant type. At this stage,
>canes are of notably smaller caliper than the Triple Crowns, but some
>have reached the top of the 6-foot fence and have been pinched back. It
>may well be that it takes a little longer to establish the Doyle, but
>they may also turn out to be more productive, plant for plant, than any
>other blackberry, just as their grower claims. I am not really clear on
>why the Doyle is exclusive to Severtson Farms. Their literature does
>not state that they hold a patent on the variety, but they are
>apparently the only producer and distributor. Whatever the case, they
>do a very fine job of getting the plants to you in good condition, and
>you pay a little for that.

>6. Fallgold Raspberry: Sourced from Indiana Plant & Berry. This is
>the only berry I planted this spring that has been a disappointment so
>far, but I think there is hope. Half the plants (5 out of 10) died, and
>the original growth from the remaining five does not look good.
>However, some new suckers are starting to show up that look healthy, not
>yet showing any wilt. The original plants set a few berries that I
>would describe as raspberry candy. The sweetest berry I have ever
>eaten. Kids love them. Obviously, these berries are intended to be
>eaten fresh, perhaps with a little cream (no sugar). They would be lost
>in a jam or any use that requires cooking. I will nurse them along, but
>may have to use some kind of fungicide on the canes, although I would
>prefer not to. I don't really know what is causing the leaf dieback, or
>what I would use to fight it, but if anyone has any suggestions they
>would certainly be welcome. These berries are a unique fresh treat, and
>I would hate to give up on them, but they are apparently more
>susceptible to wilt than the Babas.
Co

http://click.egroups.com/1/7011/0/_/423498/_/966615860/