nafex - Re: [nafex] Help in Sprouting Sweet Cherry Pits

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Help in Sprouting Sweet Cherry Pits
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:51:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Is the float test good for all stone fruit, or just cherries?

Thanks,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Lon J. Rombough wrote:

> Better hope you get two good ones, and that they are of different
> pollination groups - one by itself won't set, unless you got seed from some
> of the few new self-fertile sweet cherries.
> No need to crack sweet cherry pits - they germinate just fine after good
> stratification. And if you float the seed beforehand (if it hasn't dried
> too much) you can pick out the "blanks" because they float (no good seed
> inside).
> -Lon Rombough
> ----------
> >From: Nikolai <Nikolai@v-wave.com>
> >To: nafex@egroups.com
> >Subject: [nafex] Help in Sprouting Sweet Cherry Pits
> >Date: Thu, Jul 13, 2000, 10:04 PM
> >

> >I'm getting 20 lbs of sweet cherry pits from a processor in Ontario in a
> >few
> >weeks. These seeds are removed mechanically by a mechanical "pitter", and
> >not brined or treated in any way, so they should be good. I'll be planting
> >these pits like corn at very, very close spacing, say 100 or more seeds to
> >square foot, ie about one inch apart.
> >
> >My objective is to get a sweet cherry seedling that survives zone 3 and
> >produces. I assume at best one in four pits will sprout, and of those,
> >perhaps one in a thousand of the sprouted plants will survive above the
> >snow
> >in a zone 3 winter. I hope to get a very small number of hardy trees down
> >the line, and just maybe, a sweet cherry of reasonable quality that is
> >hardy
> >in zone 3.
> >
> >My question to NAFEXERs is about the successful sprouting of sweet cherry
> >pits, which I understand can be very difficult at times. Any methods that
> >have worked well? Most methods seem to revolve around cracking the pit and
> >planting in the fall. However, cracking thousands of pits with a pair of
> >pliars doesn't appeal much to me...Does anyone have a method that works
> >well
> >for getting sweet cherry pits to sprout in reasonable numbers?
> >Bernie Nikolai
> >Edmonton, Alberta

> >Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
> >1. Fill in the brief application
> >2. Receive approval decision within 30 seconds
> >3. Get rates as low as 2.9% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR

> Wish you had something rad to add to your email?
> We do at www.supersig.com.

Get great brand name shoes with just the click of a mouse. Check out
the huge selection at Zappos.com, the Web's Most Popular Store!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6994/0/_/423498/_/963597397/