nafex - [nafex] FW: antique apple

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] FW: antique apple
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:49:46 -0700

Can someone help Stephen Posey, below, with identifying his apple? Ed, how
about you?
Please reply to his address.
-Lon Rombough
----------
From: STEPHENPOSEY@aol.com
Subject: antique apple
Date: Fri, Jul 14, 2000, 10:19 AM

dear lon, i have a very unusual apple tree in my yard that my dad planted
when i was a kid, i am now 41 years old. this tree was grown from a sprout
taken from underneath a volunteer tree that was already growing when the
farm
was settled probably 75 years ago or longer. i have in my hand a green
flattened apple that measures 4" across by 3 1/4" thick. it resembles the
old
"horse apple" but is different. it was used back then for drying. it is very

crisp with firm tart flesh that gets sweeter as it matures. it has an
excellent sweet/tart flavor eaten out of hand. it is a spur type tree that
is
naturally semi-dwarf or dwarf. it is just absolutely loaded with apples. it
developes thin red stripes radiating from the top of the apple as it reaches

maturity. could you tell me what kind of apple this is? many thanks,
stephen posey

To email plain text is conventional, to add graphics is divine.
We'll show you how at www.supersig.com.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6808/0/_/423498/_/963596894/

  • [nafex] FW: antique apple, Lon J. Rombough, 07/14/2000