nafex - Re: [nafex] Help in Sprouting Sweet Cherry Pits

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Help in Sprouting Sweet Cherry Pits
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:25:45 +0000

Ten ways to scarify cherry pits:

1- line your walkway with them.
2- put 50 at a time in a rock tumbler for 5 hours.
3- put 100 at a time in a blender with water.
4- fill 8 to a shot shell and set a trash can under the target.
5- feed to the chickens and recover later.
6- put them all in the clothes dryer overnight on no heat setting.
7- let your teenager spin out his tires on them.
8- rent a landscape roller and run over them in the garage.
9- use them for aquarium gravel and don't clean your tank for a month.
10- borrow some of Doreen's squirrels and put them to work.

Have a nice weekend.............Vic

Nikolai wrote:

> I'm getting 20 lbs of sweet cherry pits from a processor in Ontario in a few
> weeks. These seeds are removed mechanically by a mechanical "pitter", and
> not brined or treated in any way, so they should be good. I'll be planting
> these pits like corn at very, very close spacing, say 100 or more seeds to a
> square foot, ie about one inch apart.
>
> My objective is to get a sweet cherry seedling that survives zone 3 and
> produces. I assume at best one in four pits will sprout, and of those,
> perhaps one in a thousand of the sprouted plants will survive above the snow
> in a zone 3 winter. I hope to get a very small number of hardy trees down
> the line, and just maybe, a sweet cherry of reasonable quality that is hardy
> in zone 3.
>
> My question to NAFEXERs is about the successful sprouting of sweet cherry
> pits, which I understand can be very difficult at times. Any methods that
> have worked well? Most methods seem to revolve around cracking the pit and
> planting in the fall. However, cracking thousands of pits with a pair of
> pliars doesn't appeal much to me...Does anyone have a method that works well
> for getting sweet cherry pits to sprout in reasonable numbers?
> Bernie Nikolai
> Edmonton, Alberta

> Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
> 1. Fill in the brief application

To email plain text is conventional, to add graphics is divine.
We'll show you how at www.supersig.com.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6811/0/_/423498/_/963588344/