nafex - Re: [nafex] Pythium root rot

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pythium root rot
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 08:19:43 -0700

Ron:
I don't know if it works as a curative, but the use of mycorrhizal fungi
in the soil, with good organic matter to help encourage balanced soil flora,
is a very effective way to prevent soil borne disease. I haven't had any
cases of damping off, etc. since I've been using mycorrhizal fungi. I think
highly of it enough to put a link to my supplier, Bio-Organics on my web
sit.
-Lon J. Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, more, at http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

----------
>From: "Ron " <oldapple@fastransit.net>
>To: <nafex@egroups.com>
>Subject: [nafex] Pythium root rot
>Date: Fri, Jul 14, 2000, 7:56 AM
>

>Hello,
> We are a small nursery and orchard business located in NW North Carolina
>specializing in the collection and propagation of heirloom Appalachian apple
>trees. We benchgraft our trees and raise them in plastic nursery containers.
>
> This year we grafted over 1000 trees and have lost close to 60% to
>Pythium root rot. This is the first time we have encountered this disease in
>such proportions and are desperately seeking answers concerning the biology
>of Pythium. We are working closely with researchers at NC State University
>to determine how the pathogen was introduced in an effort to prevent future
>infections.
>
> We would like to ask NAFEX members for any relevant information that
>will aid us in combating our current infection and help us prevent this from
>recurring in the future. Have other NAFEX nursery growers suffered large
>losses from Pythium? If so, what was the course of treatment?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

>Ron & Suzanne Joyner
>Big Horse Creek Farm
>www.bighorsecreekfarm.com

>Wish you had something rad to add to your email?
>We do at www.supersig.com.

To email plain text is conventional, to add graphics is divine.
We'll show you how at www.supersig.com.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6808/0/_/423498/_/963588086/

  • [nafex] Pythium root rot, Ron , 07/14/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [nafex] Pythium root rot, Lon J. Rombough, 07/14/2000