nafex - Re: [nafex] Grinder Details

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Grinder Details
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:25:33 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Regarding pressing bags...

You refer to them being made of nylon, is this the best material to use?
Are there others just as good (muslin, etc)?

I bought my press late last year, and only had enough apples to run a test
or two, and it was decided we needed a pressing bag (and electric
crusher), as the pulp pressed out between the staves.

Could a pressing bag be made by just sewing a tube that is a couple inches
larger in diameter than your pressing basket? I am assuming that if it is
long enough to gather at the both the top and the bottom, around the
screw post, the pressure would keep it in place.

Is there any trick/s as to how you load the apple pummice into the press
basket? The big presses I have seen use large flat boards between layers
of bagged apple pummice. My guess is it to evenly distribute pressure,
and gets the most cider. Is anything like that done with small presses
using a manual screw and stave pressing basket?

Sorry for this off topic thread, but this will be my first year pressing
my own cider, with our small press.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tom