msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Airscent horses?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T Finkle " <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Airscent horses?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 20:17:09 -0400

Hi Ruthie.

Yes, as some of the others have already said, air scenting to locate people
is possible with some equines. Equines just like some
canines, all do not make suitable airscent SAR animals and not all horses can
do this.. However, horse alerts in general is
something that all horse do because they are a prey animal, but the riders
must pay attentions to animal as some alerts may be very
faint. With practice and training, I got my horse to alert on people, as did
some of the others here on this list..

Horses are motivated by three main things and they use scent, vision and
hearing to locate; food, other horses and to locate things
(they think) may eat them. As seen in cutting and team penning horses, horse
can also be motivated by the desire to dominate. Find
a source that works for you and your horse and work on alerts and air
scenting..

If you want to learn about horse airscent, follow the teachings of Terry
Nowacki, he is the best person to learn from. His website
has already been posted.

T'mi