msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider 10 Essentials List

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider 10 Essentials List
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 17:01:33 -0400

You have to look at both sides—what will survive and not hurt you if do fall off, what do you use frequently enough to need in reach?  I carry a compass and a whistle on a neck piece, keys and Swiss Army knife in my jean pockets, under my chaps; radio(s) on my belt, phone is a zippered pocket.  Water bottles are on the pommel; spare lead rope, neck rope, halter, gloves, fence tool, 100 foot length of ¼ inch boat rope (for the creek), and sometimes more water, in a side bag; first aid stuff, plastic bags, spare eyeglasses, batteries, on the other side; a set of cervical collars, an orange vest, spare raingear, a yellow blanket, a chain shank and carrots, in the cantle bag.  And I keep a huge carabineer clipped to a bag ring  I am an EMT-B and qualified to use oxygen but don’t carry it on horseback (there are 2 E cylinders in the truck) because of the weight and the danger associated with having 2200 PSI cylinders, even B bottles, in my bags.

I have gone off 3 or 4 times with my present mount, and once he fell on me.  He doesn’t run off as some do, just looks at you with a “what are doing down there” look.  Having 9 foot reins also helps.   It also helps that we never ride solo when working a search task and the other riders know not to chase a loose horse.

Irv Lichtenstein