msar-riders - [MSAR] This is a real shame!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Deb Cranford <estrail1rider@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] This is a real shame!
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:21:40 -0700 (PDT)

I started reading this today and couldn't believe what I was seeing! What on Earth has happened to everyone on here??? This "stuff" is totally uncalled for. There is room for both "certified" as well as "uncertified" volunteers. Why are you all bashing one another??? I can understand the need for whomever can come help. I also understand the the advantages of training. There has to be a way to organize a big search that both parties can be involved without "just being a water carrier". And, even if that is what you have to do...why not??? It needs to be done and is very important.

Mr. Sweet...I think you are the man I have met on several occasions at the SAR Conferences in VA. I have a lot of respect for you. I didn't come this year because I felt my not having YET becoming assoc. with a group was a downfall on my part. I am hoping that I can still be accepted and still be welcomed back next year even though I will still probably not have a group. I will have to travel from southern Accomac Co. but that is ok...it is worth it to me. I need/want the learning experience even if the group I ride with is not certified...maybe I can still be.

HELP ME...tell me what I need to do with them.

I have soooo wanted to get into MSAR. I have had some setbacks but I am trying to deal with them. Although I was not affiliated with a "group", I did manage to get my FTM certification. I loved learning so much that I did a lot of the FEMA/DEM? courses online just because. My main setback is the fact that we are moving and have been for 3 yrs. My husband keeps delaying but I think he has finally decided (after I told him...this fall at the latest!) we need to get into our new house and travel back to the old one until it sells instead of living in the old one and traveling to the new one to keep up with things. OK...sooooo...I have put off joining the closest MSAR because I know that I am not going to be here.

I also overheard some statements from certified members that "a person that wants to join MSAR instead of GSAR because you don't have to walk so much really doesn't belong". Well, I am sorry that i am getting past 50 and have a bit of arthritis, and although I still love to hike and do some...I just can't do miles on hills!  I have difficulty mounting my horse ( I even sold my horse and got a shorter one, lost 35 lbs so far so I won't be so heavy on her...tell me I am not a "hang in there, I really want to" person) but a log, a ditch, or a car bumper does the job. “ I don't think these things should rule me out. OK...so I might need some help mounting.

I have found a small group of people on the Delmarva Penn. that are MSAR but only go out when called on by the sheriff...at least this is my current understanding. Since i am going to be too far from Roanoke, VA and from TROT-SAR in MD, that is the only thing I know of that I can do.

I don't know much about this group yet. i have heard some disparaging remarks about them, but I am going to try it with an open mind. I fear to say here that I have a secret hope of getting them to eventually get certified and with the DEM. I don't know how...but I am going to learn and I think there are some people on here that will help me if I can get them interested. Maybe they already are but lacking members?  I have just met a couple so am just now beginning to meet the people there.

Enough of my rambling...overall, I have found this Yahoo group informative as well as interesting. Putting people or groups down is not what I think this group is supposed to be about. I don't understand why the moderator has let this go on but that is their choice. I will still be here, I am not going to let this chase me away...I am a stayer...there are some very fine people here and I do hope they will stay, too.

Debbie Cranford

for hire” ….you simply do not recognize or care that there is a world and knowledge outside of and beyond your own!!!

We will continue to do the correct thing, right thing, be better at it, more responsive, better qualified and more experienced till we route all you self aggrandizing “for hire” ambulance chasers out of business…….cause that is who you are and what you do!!!

If I ever got paid for anything I do for MSAR both my tax accountant and my investment counselor would have heart attacks. Investigate and learn before you

Start confusing career with professional, and amateur or dilettante with a true volunteer.   I have tried to modify your opinions off list but you hit the wrong key.

Irv Lichtenstein