msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hasty Mounted Team logistics

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <Jorene@CEOates.com>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hasty Mounted Team logistics
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 23:33:27 -0400

You are still confused—logistics provides medical support for the SEARCHERS, not the subject. Resources devoted to supporting searchers have nothing to do with supporting EMS response to the search subject.  That is a different task and is carried out by the medical section which may include an evacuation team as well.

While the EMT or Paramedic who is part of the search task may be available to treat a fellow task team member it is doubtful that anything beyond what we used to call advanced first aid and is now called first responder would be available in the field due to the weight and space required to carry oxygen, AED, and splints.  I carry collars, ladder splints, and am trying a new fold up version of a traction splint that looks like a cross between a Sager and a blind person’s cane.  I don’t carry oxygen in the saddle bags (there is a full E size system in my truck), and we don’t carry a litter in the field.  Once we find them, we do a primary and possibly a secondary survey and let the medical response take over since they see lots more patients than we do.  By PA law, paramedics, pre-hospital certified nurses and PA’s must operate under the “control” of a physician.  This control may be by phone, radio, or through standing orders.  The ASTM standard for who is in control states that the base physician/location normally used is to be the unit’s control wherever it is in the world and its home rules apply.  This is honored by reciprocal agreements between PA, NJ, MD, and DE in this area since units cross the state lines to reach victims and hospitals appropriate for treatment.  PA requires that any person responding with an EMS provider be a pre-hospital care certified person, even medical doctors must take a pre-hospital care course to be allowed to ride an ambulance as part of the emergency response.  Seems people who work in ERs or trauma don’t always function well without their team and facilities.

It is not how rough the area is that determines what is available but how dense the population is.  We have areas that are probably as uninhabited as some parts of San Bernardino, after all nobody lives in many parks and forests.  But our overall population and the travel times justify civilian medical helicopters and other support as economic necessities.  And like others we ask for the support even if we only think we need it.  If time/terrain is an issue for wheeled ambulances we call for a bird. In the past the medical birds did search duty with their lights, now the cops have FLIR so they do it.  If you lack support resources and have not planned to obtain what you need when you need it to carry out the task efficiently and with the least risk to responders you are not doing your job.

Irv Lichtenstein