msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hasty Mounted Team--obvious

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <Jorene@CEOates.com>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hasty Mounted Team--obvious
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:39:04 -0400

We don’t shut down parks or recreation areas for searches.  We use the public as part of the search by interviewing at the gates and handing out bulletins (good use of unskilled labor).  As it relates to crime scenes the last murder I worked involved an infant thrown from a vehicle in Valley Forge NHP.  The mother was missing, presumed seriously injured or dead by the same hand.  Despite the then superintendent’s worry that the second body, and a very violent suspect, was in his park the only area closed to the public was the actual crime scene and the parking lot being used as the CP and staging area (which was normally closed off anyway). It did get a little strange to see local cops escorting the high school cross country team on practice runs with a marked van and a lot of obvious firepower and unmarked cars but the horses worked Mount Joy and the rest of the area without incident. They did work faster than the dogs in that terrain and sometimes overran them.  The doer was in custody about 10 miles away at the actual murder scene and eventually he gave up the body location for a deal.  This was one of the few times we actually parked at the staging area.  Sometimes we are in sight of the CP, but almost always it was get dropped off and ride to pickup.

“Soldiers study tactics, generals study logistics, ” or something like that.  If we are going to be in the field overnight we order the comforts of home--- canteen truck, field com unit, potable water tenders (we call them tankers here), set up corrals, call the local hay dealer, and the mushroom growers to clean up. Can’t have an adverse environmental impact.  If we are at an established campsite there is usually a well and portables.  If not the logistics guy arranges for everything.  One county EMA director got us the parking lot of a museum, complete with hoses to cool down the stock, 2 com vans (one was a 45 foot MCI coach), unlimited cell phone service, and one pot for every 10 searchers.  And a bunch of public works people to clean up after us.  All the search manager wanted to do was sit in the sun instead of using all the air conditioned technology.

We try not to roll without knowing where we will be setting up, dropping off, and parking.  While I use a 4 horse stock bumper pull which is relatively maneuverable many now use 3 horse slant loads or tack room equipped low riders behind crew cab duallies and campers.  The slightest bump can hang one of these up or get it somewhere where it has to be backed out very carefully.  We may scout the route or rely on local knowledge, and try to avoid getting boxed in.

Irv Lichtenstein