msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Successful Search today

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Successful Search today
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 20:54:38 -0600

Lois Guyon wrote:
>I am interested in the policy of delaying deployment in probably
>suicide cases as a protection for the searchers. Do you know the
>rational?

Two reasons were given to me by our state SAR Coordinator. I hope
I relate them to you accurately.

1. If responders find the subject alive, the risk of injury and
other harm to the responders is very high. Appropriate emergency
response is by public safety officers specially trained in suicide
crisis intervention.

3. Arguably, the subject may have the right to suicide. If not,
then suicide is a criminal act, hence outside the scope of
volunteer SAR as defined in New Mexico.

Searching for likely deceased subjects is within our scope; it
has to be, because until the subject is found the subject's state
is not known. Recovery of deceased subjects is not within our
scope; that job belongs to the state coroner's office. However,
the coroner's office does not have the budget or manpower to do
body recoveries from remote locations. So SAR resources may be
used, but we are told at the time of callout that it is a recovery
and we may decline to respond without it counting against us.
Some teams do not respond for recoveries; others are proud to
do it. This is a humanitarian service, as it helps the subject's
family and others find closure.

Recoveries tend to be costly in terms of SAR resources. Some
SAR responders will respond to their first recovery, thinking
they can cope, but find they cannot or do not want to cope with
it. This tends to turn them off SAR altogether. Also, some
recoveries are worse than others. Some are horrors.