msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Successful Search today

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lois Guyon <laguyon2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Successful Search today
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 08:15:55 -0700 (PDT)

Una,

I am interested in the policy of delaying deployment in probably suicide
cases as a protection for the searchers. Do you know the rational? Is it
that there will be trauma if the person is deceased or is it that the
searchers are not prepared to intervene with an unstable person?

Because of the number of suicides (potential) in remote areas, I would think
it would be productive to have searchers prepared to search in case the
suicide could be prevented. What do we know about suicides and probably
suicides? Where are they found? How long after being reported missing? How
many are found alive?

After asking these questions, it seems to me that we need a national data
base of searches. The MSAR community might benefit from a research arm. I
know a competent researcher in NM. ----

Lois Guyon
LaSalle County, IL. Sheriff's MSAR