msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Successful Search today

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Successful Search today
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 06:18:10 -0400

Great write up, thanks for sharing! I am glad the subject was found in relatively good health, I love happy endings too.

I am impressed with the way your mounted team was flexible with the deployment of its personnel and through your safety plan, had incorporated the adaptation to rapidly changing weather conditions if needed. Your post also is an excellent example why MSAR responders need to be trained and proficient in search theory and probability of detection.

Because the subject has been missing for nearly 24 hours and was a proficient hiker, I was wondering if you knew approximately how many square miles the IAP had estimated the search area to be?
T'mi
www.trotsar.org

pennbo@verizon.net wrote:

We rec'd the call out at about 1pm. Asking for mounted searchers as soon as possible for a critical missing person. Below is the link to the news article that the radio played earlier today. The missing woman likes to hike, is a proficient hiker, likes high spots- and is despondent and probably suicidal. NOT the type of situation we like to be called out on as it increases the sense of urgency. To complicate the search subject is also deaf. Think about how this would impact your search tactics in heavily brushed, heavily wooded terrain! The vast majority of our group is out of town on a public service mission which left three mounted and three non-riding Mounted members to report. They assigned us a gradual trail to a high pass of the Pacific Crest Trail. Did I mention we've been having thunderstorms with lightning every afternoon? Again, this impacts the search plan. We deployed and the non-riders deployed in vehicles to search roads. We made a safety plan before we left our vehicles, confirmed with command post, just in case lightning became a factor!

I am happy to say that we had a good ride in the beautiful mountains- and the subject was found alive! However its interesting how she was found. What would you do if your assignment was to patrol miles and miles of dirt road along the side of a canyon in the National Forest? The team in one vehicle (which included one of our non-riders) discussed this and decided to pull over occasionally, get out and listen. Calling out wouldn't help- and they had no way of notifying the subject except their blaze orange shirts. The first place they got out, stood on the side, looked down, heard a noise- and there she was 2-300ft below them! Talk about divine intervention! She had fallen down a relatively gradual slope, intentionally or accidentally remains to be determined, was disoriented and dehydrated as could be expected at 63 years old and having spent close to 24hrs outside lying on the ground with no food or water. She appeared to have no major injuries.

I am thankful that this team made a plan, thought outside the box, and stopped. There is no telling how many other vehicles- including our mounted rigs, drove right by her today! I am also thankful that our members, although horseless due to injured horses, reported for the search anyway as valuable resources! I am also thankful that this search required all of us to think outside of our comfort zones for new ways to assess the situation and find the subject. Always learning!!!

That's our day. I love happy endings!!
Chris

http://www.bigbeargrizzly.net/articles/2009/06/07/news/breaking_news/doc4a2c39abd7f36901547448.txt