msar-riders - [MSAR] Its not a matter of winning

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Its not a matter of winning
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 19:14:43 -0700 (PDT)

Message: 6
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 12:59:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Yvette Rollins <hoosierhorsemen@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] gaited horses, no winners
To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>

There will be no winner's in this type of email so let's get back to business.?
?
Yvette from Indiana

--->>>>
Well put Yvette.

My 2c though ->>

Useless horses no matter what the breed stem from USELESS TRAINERS AND EQUALLY USELESS RIDERS.

Those that disbarage another breed for whatever reason usually are those that lack experience, knowledge or a THOROUGH understanding of the breed or the equipment to begin with.   Chances are they have not been around  long enough to get the full facts of all and bottomline heretoo is is there is GOOD AND BAD IN ALL.. At the same time  they will have nothing bad to say about the horses or such that they themselves use or own  Unless you are joining  a team that requires specifics, then you all really need to form your own opinions of what breed/brand is best and find the right one that WORKS FOR YOU.  You cannot let the ADVERTISING sway you, you have to try it for yourself.

If you require a specific trait in a horse or brand of equipment, you have to look at many  breeds and brands to find the RIGHT things you need.  Not all are CAN DO all.

Folks, I said this before and I will say it again, the point of a SAR/MSAR TEAM is its ability to work together.  And unfortuneately there will always be some people and things that cannot work together and need to be in a different area of the team as a whole.  Those things or people need placement within the team for the team to function at its best and as a whole.  You as a part of the team then also need to have also the integrity to say I can or cannot do this and need to be placed here or there and do so quickly.

If you are hell bent in having a MSAR team looking like a bunch of tin soldiers all in uniform and precise, that is fine for parade days,  but the bottomline is is when all hell breaks loose and the call goes out, and it goes out tothe commuinty of EVERYONE, not all of us are going to be in uniform.

SAR/MSAR, is an EFFORT.  Neither are a competition.  We all win when we all make an effort to work as a team.

Too many of us are too hung up about competition.  So like Yvette said, lets get back to business.

Part of the original topic was: gaited vs non... so to further educate and pass things on that we know of our own breeds, additionally here is  2c more from me about the puny paso ponies that I advocate!

Looks to me those funny little horses in that video are great tempered and well dispositioned animals and can do a lot. And by golly, what a team!

Paso temperment.. hmmm and from my experiences, most people I know that have a paso or any type of gaited horse for that matter own them precisely because they are smooth and precisely for their gentle and even temperments.  Most ill tempered horses I know are ill tempered because they are ill handled.  And it does not matter what the breed, or if they are hotblooded, warm or cold.  Most people I know too, that ride a gaited horse ride such because the horses that gait are more tempermentally suited for riders that have disabilities or they require a horse that can be ridden all day without the bonejarring adding insult to a tired body that has also worked hard all day.

From a trainers stand point, hot tempered people generally are the ones who we have seen that have the most trouble in handling a hot blooded horse.   A hot blooded horse will not tolerate being jerked around, whipped or bullied and will more often or not then decide it will fight you.  So then my recommendation from there then becomes if you are not a patient and tolerant person, then dont mess with the hotbloods and dont even consider a donkey, mule or a jackass.  But then this is, once again, my humble opinion and from what we have experienced and from what has also worked for us.  And my breeds of choice for all I have done and do are the spanish gaiteds.

In getting back to business, we all win as a team when we know ourselves and our own limitations.

Karen

  • [MSAR] Its not a matter of winning, Karen Nesbitt, 05/13/2009