msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] New member requirements

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] New member requirements
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:04:18 -0700

Jonah Libsack wrote:
>That sounds like a great approach to new member introduction. Are
>you willing to share the training book and exam?

Everything on the website is free for anyone to use. The ICS-100
exam is available online. The exam about the training book (Study
Guide) is multiple choice and easy to develop from the book itself.
You can and should design your own exam to focus on the information
that is most important in your local area. Some elements in the
Study Guide are specific to New Mexico; eg, the New Mexico SAR Act
and our statewide SAR system and how we implement ICS. Where I
think the Study Guide really shines is in presenting just the most
important information that SAR folks statewide agree is important.

The Study Guide has only two elements specific to MSAR: riders
must wear or pack boots suitable for hiking, and riders must have
their essential gear on their person or in a pack they can wear.

For some units, eg Lois Guyon's in Illinois, neither element would
be important because in her area almost no place is more than half
a mile from the nearest good road.