msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] New member requirements

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] New member requirements
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 06:39:11 -0500

Hi Lisa,

Our MSAR team has found that being able to identify an applicant's level of commitment as a public safety volunteer helps us to recruit and retain new members . Like many MSAR teams, in years past our team has lost over 75% of applicants. A couple of years ago we modified our application process that includes; perquisites, training milestones, operational requirements, retention protocols and yearly standards. Most of new applicants are those we speak to at County an Town level Emergency Preparedness or Public Safety Fairs. If the perquisites outlined within our welcome letter does not scare new folks away, then we will generally receive an application packet from a person that fulfills a commitment. Contact me off-line for more information (below is the standard welcome letter we use).
-------------
Hello Lisa,

Thank you for expressing an interest with the TROTSAR Mounted Team Inc. Our search & rescue mounted team has approximately 20 members and currently conduct training exercises on a rotating basis within Northern Virginia (near Warren County), Central Maryland (near Carroll County) and Southern Maryland (near Charles County). We generally conduct training on the second weekend of the month, alternating between Saturday or Sunday, and on some occasions both days. We have two general membership meetings per year in the summer and winter. Weather permitting, we will have our next entry level horse and rider evaluation (HRE testing) on March 7, 2009 at 10:00am (rain/snow date is March 14th). We only evaluate equines during our scheduled HRE and only with those persons who have formally applied for the team in advance of testing day. Because this is such a demanding commitment, please know that approximately 25% of all applicants successfully become operational members of our team. Below is some information that may help you to decide if this is a time demanding volunteer public service commitment that you would like to pursue:

PREREQUISITES: To be accepted into the training program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 21 years old and have ownership privileges to a suitable mount.
- Hold a valid State issued driver's license and submit to a criminal background check.
- Have ready and easy 24/7 access to a registered tow vehicle and horse trailer at all times.
- Commit to a minimum of 40 hours of in-service training per year and meet yearly training standards.
- Must have regular access to email, text messaging and a cell phone.
- Must complete four online FEMA courses and hold current First Aid and CPR cards.
- Horse and rider must have the physical ability to work under saddle for a minimum of 6 continuous hours and without assistance tack, mount and dismount your own horse.
- Submit a completed team application and liability waivers.

To explain these perquisites in more detail: Within the first 6 months from submitting application forms, applicants must hold/obtain current First Aid, CPR certification, obtain the (online) FEMA IS-100a, IS-200a, IS 700, IS-317 (or other FEMA CERT course) certifications and pass a written 25 question MSAR Equine Knowledge Test (80% or higher score is needed for passing and most questions can be found within U.S. Pony Club or 4-H Horse Club manuals). Applicants must also pass all items outlined in the Horse and Rider Evaluation (HRE). While on horseback riding helmets are always required when participating with team. Once these requirements are achieved you will be promoted as a Trainee and be issued a team ID number. Your local Red Cross Chapter can provide information about First aid and CPR classes and information about the four FEMA courses can be found at <http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/crslist.asp>

Trainees seeking promotion to Operational Status must complete a recognized 40 hour (fundamental/team member level) Search and Rescue Course and obtain (official) NASAR SAR Tech-III Certification, or pass the VDEM Virginia Field Team Member Course (with certificate), or pass the SAR Tech-II Field/Written exam. Equestrians with prior SAR credentials can transfer into our team once their training records have been verified and they pass the HRE. Information about these courses can be found online at <www.nasar.org <http://www.nasar.org>> and <www.vasarco.org <http://www.vasarco.org>>. Once promoted to Trainee, obtaining a minimum of 40 hours of in-service training per year is required by each team member. Due to standards requirements attending more than 40 hours may be needed in order to meet yearly training requirements

Our Mounted Team has a formal (24/7) response MOU's with the Virginia Department of Emergency Management and with the Maryland State and MD Natural Resource Police, as well as other local jurisdictions. We a recognized non-profit non-government organization (NGO) first responder resource and we only respond to an incident at the request of an Authority Having Jurisdiction over the search. Please feel free to contact me at any time should additional questions arise. I can forward you a team membership application, liability waiver, confidentially agreement and MSAR written test if you are interested. Additional questions can be emailed to Officers@trotsar.org

Regards,

T'mi

Ms. Tomi` Finkle
Commander
TROTSAR Mounted Team
www.trotsar.org <http://www.trotsar.org>
1-888-MSAR911 (for 24/7 Emergency Dispatch only)
301-412-5249 (cell)

TROT Search and Rescue Mounted Team Inc. is a 501(c)3 tax exempt non-profit organization