msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] New member requirements

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lois Guyon <laguyon2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] New member requirements
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:57:43 -0800 (PST)

Lisa,

We had a woman who begged and pleaded to be on our MSAR Posse. When an
opening came up, she was sent for her initial two-day training. The weather
was cold with wind and rain. She sat through the morning indoor training but
went home in the afternoon and did not show up the second day. She said that
she did not know what was involved in MSAR and thought it was "just a bunch
of people riding horses looking for someone."

This happened in spite of her being told what to expect. Our training
officers tend to hold training when the weather is bad. This sorts out the
weak of heart in a hurry. However, the problem of "cowboys" is not so easily
solved. We have some. They tend to take chances when they should not and
have been with the group from the beginning. We try not to reinforce their
risk taking behaviors and praise them for good behavior. We have seen
significant improvement. Also, the high energy types need jobs to do to keep
them busy. It is just like the class clown in high school.

Lois