msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Bandera 100k

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Trailriding-Texas - OA" <trlrider2@trailriding-texas.us>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Bandera 100k
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:41:00 -0600

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 8:32 AM
Subject: Re: [MSAR] Newbie to the List

Can you provide anything (like room and board) for volunteers?

Jim

Jim,

Some background:
The event, known as the Bandera 100k (  http://www.tejastrails.com/Bandera.html )  is held at the
Hill Country State Natural Area ( http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/hill_country/ ), just to the west of Bandera, TX
the weekend of January 10th, 2009!
This is a 100k marathon, that begins at 0730 Saturday morning, and has a 24 hour cut-off!  In support of the 100k, there are also 50k
and 25 k participants!  HCSNA is  fairly rugged and challenging environment! The Director of this event has gone through great lengths
to include the most challenging aspects a part of the course, and those participants in the 100k have to do them twice!  The companion
event, The Cactus Rose, was just completed the beginning of November. Cactus Rose is a 100 mile event!

This is an all weather event, so we prepare for wonderful to extreme!  In the case of extreme, we usually stage in camp, and be
prepared for an incident that would require our services!  Other times, we ride assigned sections at our leisure, but in radio
contact at all times!

Hill Country State Natural Area Partners has been responsible for coordinating the Horse Patrol since the events inception! And
Hill Country REACT and other amateur radio operators have provided Radio Communications for the last 4 years!

Most of our volunteers sleep in their trailers or tents!  I myself, even though I have a larger semi self contained trailer, usually bring my
16 ft stock trailer and set-up house in it!  It gives an added element of portability in the case an incident on the opposite side of the
park requires quick relocation of a couple of horses!  Will probably set-up a large tent this year, and would have room for a
couple of others!

Three staging areas are utilized by the Horse Patrol!  2 have RV type electrical connections, and 1 (Trailhead/Crossroads) does not, but
generators will be allowed for this event!  The Group Lodge has a bunk room with 6 beds, I typically reserve 2 beds for someone that
may wish to use them!  Chapa's and The Group Lodge both have barns with 6 stalls each for the horses, the Lodge also has several
pens of various sizes, and Trailhead/Crossroads has permanent pens! Water is available for horses.  It is recommended that
humans bring their own drinking water, as the water at the park through the wells is not filtered or treated!(State Liability Issue)

There are several Dude Ranches neighboring HCSNA that offer various levels of lodging.  As there is no budget, any arrangements
would be on the individuals own accord! Information on them can be found at http://www.banderacowboycapital.com/

Our volunteers are provided Dinner Saturday night and Sunday morning!  Lunch on Saturday is usually available at the various aid
stations as well as other refreshments and fluids!  Over the 7 years I have been involved with this event, Sammy has never let us
down in the grocery department!  Also, Saturday night, Hill Country REACT will serve up pot of Gumbo at the Chapa's Camp for
all volunteers of the Horse Patrol and Radio team!

Most of our volunteers on the Horse Patrol are regulars of the park, and have a good working knowledge of the trail system.  Others
are teamed with our regulars.  Only a couple of us have any sort of SAR or MSAR training, but we manage to get the job done!  Night
riding is a favorite of many of the group, especially myself!  We have a commitment currently by one mounted EMT, and her mother,
also an EMT will be in camp for ground crew! The Race director also has an EMT staged at Race Control (The Lodge).

Specialized equipment: none really to speak of!  As I stated in my opening message, at some point in the future, I hope to formalize a
group, and acquire gear just for MSAR purposes!  The Horse Patrol will have utilize commercial band UHF HT's and a hilltop repeater
to keep the Horse Patrol in contact with Race Control, Aid Stations and each other! Should an issue arise with the repeater, relays are
made through the Amateur Radio operators stationed at each of the Aid Stations!

Thank you for your interest! Hope this helps! This year I am responsible for the Horse Patrol Coordination and the Radio Comm's,
so any questions, comments or observations are welcome!

Louis