msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Sound Sweeps

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Kinch" <kinch@shaw.ca>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Sound Sweeps
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:07:57 -0700

We have used sound sweeps for several years now. Our group normally uses them when it is highly probable that the missing subject is concious and capable of responding. We have an electronic timer hooked up to our communications system. The timer is normally set for between 3 to 5 minutes (this is a generally a good timing for the ground pounders). It automatically comes over the radio with a warning beep and then does a 3 second countdown, ending with a long beep at which point everyone on the search blows their whistle at the same time for about 2 seconds. Everyone then remains still and quietly listens for a response for about 15 seconds. If mounted, we watch our mounts for sign that they have heard something. Their ears will "periscope" and point out the direction the noise came from. If nothing is heard, all teams carry on with their assigned tasks and then automatically at the time set, the warning beep comes over the radio and the process is repeated. We have had some success with this, generally at night when sound travels much better. You can cover a large area very quickly but again it must be highly probable that the missing subject is concious and capable of responding. Another good point to this procedure is that all searchers stop and listen at the exact same time. If the subject makes any noise at all (yells, cries, uses their quad's horn, runs away, etc) there is a real good probability that someone will hear him / her.

Joe Kinch
Arrowsmith Search & Rescue
Vancouver Island

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lois Guyon" <laguyon2@yahoo.com>