msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Coyotes, snakes and other critters

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Coyotes, snakes and other critters
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:12:37 -0700

A friend's horse became very nervous riding a few miles from here a year or so ago and mtn. lion tracks were found later within 100 feet, but it was never seen. I have no idea how he would have reacted if the lion had shown itself and neither does he. I'll forward these suggestions to him, thanks.

If you ever SEE a mtn lion it's because it is not interested in you for prey, is sick, or just plain ignoring you in general and doesn't care if you see it. It's the ones you DON'T see you need to worry about. They hunt by stealth. Overhangs- rocks, outcroppings, etc- are perfect jump off spots for them to unhorse someone. Doesn't happy often but it can happen. Generally they leave horse folk alone as we are bigger than they are.

Chris