msar-riders - [MSAR] IL Truck Wreck

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue in Illinois USA." <msar-il@lists.ibiblio.org>, MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] IL Truck Wreck
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:37:17 -0700 (PDT)

Message: 37
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:05:09 -0600
From: "David Skofstad" <dbs54neigh@earthlink.net>
To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>

I have been minimally involved in this list for some time, as I felt an
interest in forming a MSAR group in our area. I am president of the
Lake County (Illinois) Mounted Posse.  Unlike other Posse groups, we are
a private horse club not associated with any governmental or law
enforcement  agency.

Our group was contacted Saturday evening to help with the double-decker
wreck.  There is no countywide plan for such an event.  All civilians
who responded did so at their own risk.  I doubt if any of them gave it
a thought.

I had begun working with the Newport Township fire chief this spring
to get some personnel trained.  He has been very receptive.  Our club
paid for one firefighter to attend training at Kentucky Horse Park in, I
believe, August. There are plans to bring qualified instructors to our
area next year for a training event.

For those wondering, the trailer was NOT suitable for transporting
equines, particularly those as tall as the Belgians we handled Saturday
night.  There are excellent photos available in the "Comments" section of
the online story in the Chicago Tribune.

As to the intended destination of these animals, no one around here
believes the driver's story of transporting from a sale in Shipshewanna,
IN, to another sale barn in Minnesota.  I didn't see them, but some
people at the scene reported seeing several animals with "Killer tags" on
them, while others had the regular sale tags.  Most of the animals were
female. The fillies were mostly in good physical condition (before the
wreck) while the colts were mostly quite thin.  It is thought by many
that the load was headed for Canada, some for PMU and some for
slaughter.  It seems doubtful there would be real good money in buying animals
at auction in Indiana so as to transport them to another auction
hundreds of miles away.

Beyond the horror of the triage scene on US Highway 41,  there is now
the question: "Who is going to pay for all of this?"  There were
personnel from at least six fire departments,  veterinary supplies were being
consumed at a dizzying rate, disposal of the deceased,
and care and feeding of the survivors.

I will attempt to keep this list apprised of any structure that may be
established for donations and such.  As of now, the feed costs are
being borne by one of our members who graciously accepted responsibility
for the care and housing of the victims.

David Skofstad
dbs54neigh@earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.