msar-riders - [MSAR] IL truck wreck

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "David Skofstad" <dbs54neigh@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] IL truck wreck
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:05:09 -0600

I have been minimally involved in this list for some time, as I felt an interest in forming a MSAR group in our area. I am president of the Lake County (Illinois) Mounted Posse.  Unlike other Posse groups, we are a private horse club not associated with any governmental or law enforcement  agency.

Our group was contacted Saturday evening to help with the double-decker wreck.  There is no countywide plan for such an event.  All civilians who responded did so at their own risk.  I doubt if any of them gave it a thought.

 I had begun working with the Newport Township fire chief this spring to get some personnel trained.  He has been very receptive.  Our club paid for one firefighter to attend training at Kentucky Horse Park in, I believe, August. There are plans to bring qualified instructors to our area next year for a training event.

For those wondering, the trailer was NOT suitable for transporting equines, particularly those as tall as the Belgians we handled Saturday night.  There are excellent photos available in the "Comments" section of the online story in the Chicago Tribune.

As to the intended destination of these animals, no one around here believes the driver's story of transporting from a sale in Shipshewanna, IN, to another sale barn in Minnesota.  I didn't see them, but some people at the scene reported seeing several animals with "Killer tags" on them, while others had the regular sale tags.  Most of the animals were female. The fillies were mostly in good physical condition (before the wreck) while the colts were mostly quite thin.  It is thought by many that the load was headed for Canada, some for PMU and some for slaughter.  It seems doubtful there would be real good money in buying animals at auction in Indiana so as to transport them to another auction hundreds of miles away.

Beyond the horror of the triage scene on US Highway 41,  there is now the question: "Who is going to pay for all of this?"  There were personnel from at least six fire departments,  veterinary supplies were being consumed at a dizzying rate, disposal of the deceased,
and care and feeding of the survivors.

I will attempt to keep this list apprised of any structure that may be established for donations and such.  As of now, the feed costs are being borne by one of our members who graciously accepted responsibility for the care and housing of the victims.

David Skofstad
dbs54neigh@earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.