msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR & Cushing's Disease

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR & Cushing's Disease
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:24:38 -0400

Thanks Chris,
Doc Ann will be back in a month to do follow-up testing. This will confirm or hopefully disprove the first tests. Our immediate concern was to fix the laminitis problem and then treat Meeco as if he had Cushing's Disease, which the blood work had indicated. Too that I have followed the protocol you would use with a Cushing horse. The feed I changed to is Triple Crown Lite, which has a low Non-structured carbohydrate (NSC) content. Also, no green grass for him. The trick will be to get some weight off without compromising his need for vitamins and minerals. Of course, no treats, apples,carrots or cookies with molasses and grain grains. Also, I had the Ferrier pulls his shoes with the hope that more frog contact with the ground will keep the flow of blood through the hoof. The medications we are using is cyproheptadine (serotonin antagonist).

Thanks for the encouragement.

Chuck
----- Original Message ----- From: "Pennbo's" <pennbo@verizon.net>