msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR & Cushing's Disease

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR & Cushing's Disease
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:35:57 -0700

Chuck, you have my sympathy. I have had a Cushings horse before and I know the up and downs. While this seems like a harsh blow take heart- medicine can do some outrageously wonderful things these days about Cushings. You will first probably need to make sure it IS Cushings and not Insulin Resistance. Sometimes the tests results look similar. I can heartily recommend the yahoogroups EquineCushings. If there are experts in the study and care of Cushings and IR they are on that list. Just the archived information alone will enlighten you immensely.

Now- if your horse is just Cushings diet is not as big an issue and meds can control most of the symptoms for a good long time. If he is IR then diet is MUCH more critical- to avoid the laminitis/founder syndrome. Even then there are things you can learn about grazing that might allow some during a search- and there are specially formulated pelleted feeds that work really well for IR horses.

Anyway, you can probably still use your horse for a long long time!!

Chris Pennington