msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Sanctioning Bodies

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Sanctioning Bodies
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 13:27:33 -0600

The US Polo Association requires helmets be worn during all sanctioned
events. There is a move afoot to add face guards, similar to the face
guards on football helmets. The intention is to protect against polo
ball injuries. However, the benefit is largely in outdoor grass field
polo, where the ball is smaller, harder, and faster than in arena polo.
In arena polo, in my experience both as a player and an observer, the
greater risk is not the ball but the 5+ other players' mallets. They
might hook the face guard and thereby cause significant neck injuries.

Effective searching requires that the rider not look where the horse is
going. In a forest understory, that puts the rider at risk for scalp
and face injuries, quite apart from falling off the horse. I don't
always wear a helmet (I am working on that; old habits can be hard to
break) but I never, ever ride without at least a hat and glasses. I am
tempted to get a face shield, having once had the misfortune to get a
twig pushed up my nose. Ground pounders who search and carry litters
say they often feel the need to wear a helmet, especially when working
at night (!) and here in New Mexico there is a growing consensus within
the SAR community that veryone who is involved in SAR should at least
carry a helmet in the field: rock climbing or bicycle or equestrian.

By the way, some popular styles of polo helmet have a full brim. And
since polo is predominantly a male sport, all polo helmets are designed
to appeal to men.