msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Sanctioning Bodies

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Sanctioning Bodies
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 14:19:34 -0500

All the competition sanctioning bodies require head and eye protection
today, even endurance and rodeo. About the only place you won't see a helmet
is on a traditional dressage rider. Even 4-H and the Grange require helmets
on the grounds at all times.

The leading locations for head injuries are the paddock and trailer
Equestrian helmets are built to absorb impact, not deflect it as
construction or fire/rescue helmets are. The lack of a large hard brim is to
protect the neck from deflection, and most brims are breakaway for that
reason.

A SAR rider, unlike many trail riders, is not always looking forward along
the trail. And we do not tend to gallop while searching. But the helmets I
have destroyed while riding never got hit in the front. One was whacked by
a branch over the left ear, crushing the foam, and another was penetrated by
a branch at the top. In neither case would a Stetson have offered any
protection- in the first it was below the side brim line, and the second
would have ripped open the crown and if not penetrated removed the hat from
my head. The most serious fall I have ever had was almost 20 years ago
now-and a Stetson would have killed me. I rolled off a horse as I was
mounting and the saddle slipped, going down on my back and rolling clear.
The back of my head connected with a concrete well head, cracking the outer
shell of a Caliente racing helmet like the proverbial egg. No loss of
consciousness, no headaches, no blurred vision, did dislocate a finger by
trying to hold on to the reins. Never rode without a helmet after that.

Our unit policy is to wear head and eye protection while riding on official
business. There are a lot of Western riders in this area who prefer
traditional headgear and are reluctant to volunteer if a helmet rule is
enforced. But they are coming around as long as the decision is theirs to
make. We offer bonus points for helmets at all fundraisers, which are not
timed events.

Irv Lichtenstein
SE PA SAR