msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training Schedule

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training Schedule
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:06:45 -0500

We have 17 on roll, 4 are supporting not responding. Currently 7 on page,
several more available by telephone, 6 have completed Large Animal Rescue.
Several members carry GPS units of various brands but many of our areas are
less than a few minutes on a side so we stress terrain recognition (which
doesn't need batteries either). Our Spring fundraiser ride will contain
elements of orienteering but the courses will be sight line, not requiring a
compass. We are doing safety for a recreation of the Forbidden Drive
Protest of 1912 and it will be all landmarks because it is in a steep walled
creek valley and there is only limited phone and GPS coverage.