msar-riders - [MSAR] Under-hoof dangers

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Under-hoof dangers
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:33:28 -0500

[Fixed headers, deleted HTML duplicate of text, added quotes. Una]

Responding to:

------>>>>
Bottom line is NO HOOF----> NO HORSE...So, becareful what you ride or (
walk ) on whether it is a search or not. Puncture wounds can lead to putting
a horse down due to infections that can take the legs, hence life of a horse
and puncture wounds on a horse are wounds of the worse kind be it hoof or
located elsewhere. A situation like proud flesh can occur and can take
forever to cure if ever if it is not treated properly. Wounds to the hoof
also can lead to founder as well. No amount of padding will stop a nail from
going into a horses hoof if the horse steps wrong. It's a shame we live in
such a wasteful and wanton world that pollutes and disposes it's trash most
every where, however, we often have no choice in the terrain we need to
search in...perhaps if the area is too trashy, leading the horse is a better
option than that of riding...or sending in foot patrols....which may or
maynot be an option given the events of the search....Be prepared for
immediate care of
wounds of this nature. Preventative shots - keep shots for especially
tetanus up to date. It's all just common sense and part of horseownership.
In a perfect world, we would not have to worry about things as such, but I
guess to in a perfect world, we would not have to go out on searches!

Karen Nesbitt
Iroquios County
Illinois - unaffiliated

  • [MSAR] Under-hoof dangers, Karen Nesbitt, 02/12/2007