msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Under-hoof dangers

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Under-hoof dangers
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:40:39 -0800 (PST)

I have not seen the hoof punctured, but certainly think it possible esp. if shallow-footed or a sharp piece at just the right angle.  The frog would be also at risk, so I have always avoided glass if I see it.  A hard lesson  learned was I did not carefully check/pick feet after a ride, and had a locust thorn near the frog.  We were fortunate not to lose the horse, but it required vet care, soaks, temporary lameness etc.

I like to use heavy duty or ballistic bell boots to keep on special egg bars on my older TB's front feet.  These protect the coronary band and heels and could be used on all 4 feet if needed.  It is not a bad idea to use lower leg protection like splint boots or SMB-type neoprene on trail rides to protect from cuts, thorns and the like.  Prevention is almost always less expensive!  Dana

PS  If your horse has not worn boots or leg wraps before, be prepared for some adjustment time.  They may not like them at first and think they feel funny.

Una Smith <una.smith@att.net> wrote:
Interesting.

Two mentions of lower leg cuts due to glass, both in water. Is
this a rule?

Has anyone seen a hoof puncture due to glass?