msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Fw: Under-hoof dangers corrected version

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Fw: Under-hoof dangers corrected version
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:52:32 -0800

I worry much more about nails in the ground than broken bottles. A small amount of vigilance will help you avoid broken glass (in most cases) but nails are impossible to spot. Old homesteads are especially bad as the wood has often decomposed and left the rusty nails embedded and hidden in the soil. Thankfully most of our searches are wilderness trails and we have little man-made hazards to watch for. However dirt roads and road-sides in our area are prime nail locations due to the large extent of construction in our area.

Over the years I have seen accidents caused by most of the things we are talking about but barbed wire has always been the worst. In some places old wire has come down, curled up, and been covered by weeds so that a rider cannot see it easily. It is NASTY stuff.

Be careful out there!
Chris Pennington