msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders 1st aid vs first responder liability

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <lyne@bryngyld.com>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders 1st aid vs first responder liability
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:12:15 -0400

You are not obligated to respond as a volunteer. If you are paid to provide
a service there is a different set of rules. I am certified as an EMT and a
rescue technician by the state but I am not under obligation to carry a
certified rescue truck with me, just to do what I was trained to do as I was
trained to do it if I participate in the rescue or medical incident. I carry
oxygen in my vehicle, but not on my horse. There is a matter of practicality
(weight). There is also a matter of treatment. Do I want to take the time
(and trouble) to splint or immobilize when an ambulance full of people and
gear is nearby? Doing it single handed is not always appropriate.

You have to look at your state laws and your insurance policy. You may be at
greater risk not having the expected level of training than having more
training than you have equipment.

Irvin Lichtenstein