msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders 1st aid vs first responder

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lyne Peterson <lyne@bryngyld.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders 1st aid vs first responder
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:40:50 -0700 (PDT)

Here's another point about stopping at basic first aid. I took a 1st
responder class and chose NOT to certify. A first responder is held to a
higher standard than personnel certified in basic first aid. I felt I was
not comfortable being responsible for more than basic first aid. We have a
former EMT that let their certification lapse for similiar reasons.

How much more equipment would I be carrying the more qualified I am? Would
I be obligated to carry oxygen since I would be trained to administer it?
Could I possibly be sued for NOT carrying life saving equipment? I've also
wondered about the liability for our unit for NOT carrying a defib unit. (We
can't afford one, but you get the point.)

Lyne Peterson
Northern California
HAM: K9LYN