msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders 1st aid vs first responder

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders 1st aid vs first responder
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 09:28:14 -0400

[Deleted included prior post and HTML duplicate. -Una]

Lyne, I think it is great to know as much as possible and you are supposed to
be covered under the Good Samaritan act as long as you stay within your scope
of practice or training (check into this in your state). Even though I have
been an ER nurse for most of 25 years, I would not have oxygen in my car or
on on horseback) it is dangerous. I only have a pocket mask, hand sanitizer
and a few pairs of gloves in my car. I have not seen the contents of the 24
hr. pack, but I would think a basic first aid kit in addition to all of your
other gear is all most of us could handle on a mission.

I am currently looking into a grant from the American Heart Association or
any other program that may provide an AED for our squadron because we have
quite a few senior members as well as cadets 12-18 and a very tight volunteer
budget. If something happens to one of us or a victim, we are often in the
middle of nowhere! Hopefully, AEDs will become more common and less
expensive in the near future, but it you can't get a donation; have a
fundraiser!

I hope it helps you to know that in 25 years of stopping to help in
accident situations, I have yet to be taken to court or sued by anyone and
feel very fortunate. Officers arriving on scene do not usually ask for a
name or title if we did not see how the accident occurred, but it may well be
they are also trying to help us avoid any hassles. It seems to be an
unspoken professional courtesy. In turn, law enforcement, fire dept and such
get the best possible care if they are injured.