msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] msar credentials and info

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: T'mi Fi <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] msar credentials and info
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 22:25:47 -0400

Margie,

If you live in the State of Virginia you will need to meet the Mounted Standards of the Virginia Search and Rescue Council (VASARCo), once your team is formally evaluated, VASARCo will then recommend your MSAR team for a MOU with Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM). You may want to talk with VDEM's State SAR Coordinator who keeps track of all volunteer SAR teams within the State.

Our Mounted Team has been an associate member of VASARCo for many years. Since we now have several members who live in Northern Virginia, we are having the team evaluated next month (during a mock search) for a formal MOU. How many horses does your team plan to have? Most of the Mounted Teams in the mid-Atlantic Region work in pairs (2 horse and Riders). If you want to come to the Front Royal area and be one of the victims for the Mock Search, you are more than welcome and see how we assign MSAR tasks. We already have one bloodhound scheduled and the exercise only has one tasking for that type of specialty.

Tomi`
TROTSAR Mounted Team

margie wrote:

I am the Officer in Charge and Training Director of a K9 Search & Recovery
Unit, and OIC of the Sheriff's Office Volunteer SAR unit too.
What I would like to know is who, where, and some background info of
training folks in MSAR are available on the EAST coast that would not
require a potential MSAR candidate to mortgage his home to pay for training?
Some of the fees I am reading about are absurd, and totally ridiculous.

I run a Bloodhound in scent specific Mantrailing, who is additionally cross
trained to hunt land /water cadaver. He additionally is trained in article
recovery work. We are activated by Law enforcement and stay extremely busy.
The idea of MSAR in our unit completes the package. So, therefore, I have
started the ground work with an Arabian Quarter cross, to add a MSAR element
to our SAR Unit.

Looking forward to reading further posts, and learning from you all.
M. Spencer
OIC V K9 SSSAR Unit
Virginia