msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Flag training needed

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Flag training needed
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:55:46 -0600

Pat,

My personal key points about flags...

A flag in a stiff wind can be very scary for a horse, even one
who is normally comfortable with flags. So be sure to work up
to training on windy days and at a speed equal to or greater
than the speed you will use during the event. Many equestrian
event organizers expect a brisk canter; some expect an all-out
gallop.

In wind, either due to your speed or windy weather, a typical
nylon flag makes both snapping and hissing sounds as it moves.
The hissing sends some horses totally ballistic. Also, in a
strong wind there is considerable drag on the flag, which can
make the horse feel unbalanced. This is true even if you wrap
the flag around its pole and/or hold down its bottom corner.
(To wrap the flag, you need a flag that is reasonably large
relative to the length of its pole.)

Wind drag can be so strong that both you and the horse must
lean into the wind. Some horses may not be physically or
mentally able to do that. My SAR mare Whitney and I have
set pivots for or ridden the serpentine in many rodeo grand
entries, and ridden in some street parades. When I trained
her to carry a flag, I had the advantage that she was an old
polo pony, so quite comfortable galloping leaning to one side
with her rider leaning far out the other side. But still we
had to work on handling wind drag; it can start and stop
very abruptly and without cues. I went maybe a little over
the top, and trained with a 12x12 foot blue plastic tarp.
The tarp started out folded small. Gradually I unfolded it
until I could hold one edge in two hands over my head and let
the entire tarp flap in the wind. Whitney was OK with that
but horses closer than 200 feet away tended to be seriously
excited by our hijinks.

Flag size varies considerably. Train at least sometimes with
a flag the size of the one you will use in the event.

There are many flag cups / boots / holders on the market. Some
attach to the stirrup leather, others to the stirrup itself.
Western or English. Most cups tie or buckle on, but English
riders sometimes invest in metal flag cups welded to a pair of
stirrups used only for carrying flags.

I have done the pole-on-boot-toe (and -vamp) thing; it works,
if your seat is very independent and your legs and hands are
very quiet. But, no matter how you ride, the pole tends to
scuff your boot. And in a public ceremony you'll be wearing
your finest boots.

Please do not stuff the flag pole into your boot. I see riders
do that a lot, but IME it is way too risky and also awkward if
(when) you must lower the flag.

Does your mount neck-rein or steer well off your seat? Riding
with one hand is pretty much required for carrying a flag.

BTW, I have written part 1 of a 2-part series of how-to essays
flag training for The Horsemen's Voice, a nice magazine here
in New Mexico, to be published this summer. So this topic is
timely for me. I would like to hear more training questions,
and answers from of the many old hands.

Relevance to MSAR? Many MSAR units, especially the sheriff's
posse groups, have traditional ceremonial roles that involve
carrying flags in parades and rodeos. And it is yet one more
way to develop the steady, calm disposition and seen-it-all
attitude we all seek in a good MSAR horse.

Hope this helps,