msar-riders - [MSAR] explanation of sweep width test

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Slybarbara@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] explanation of sweep width test
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:05:12 EST

Irv, thanks for the explanation. I had an idea it might be as you described,
but don't like to make assumptions.

This exercise might be better held as an auxiliary training to our regular
wilderness/mock sar training - it sounds a little time consuming and would
interfere with some of the sar conference classes which members want to take
(when our members are not working off their 12 hour work obligation in
exchange
for the registration fee).

I've proposed our unit set up a similar exercise for night time so our folks
could experiment with light equipment and see, in a controlled setting, what
it takes to search in the dark.

We'd set up clues: clothing, mock victims, small items at various places
along a given trail and send teams in to perform a search, have teams report
as
they make finds, mark the locations on their maps, do a debrief on the
results and turn it into a learning game.

Let me know if your unit has done anything like that.

thanks
Barbara